Although the “Accounting for Taste Article” by Eric Gardner has some ridiculous premises, it is nonetheless very interesting topics. Perhaps one of the most intriguing ideas, in my opinion, pertains to the findings found in the research for artistic preferences. This finding proposed that genetics might play a part in influencing the liking of jazz music. I find this study ridiculous because I do not find it plausible that researches can find a gene for a particular taste, while doctors cannot even find a gene that causes a disorder such as autism. On the other hand I do agree on the idea that music is hereditary because it does not necessarily refer to a particular gene pool.
I have come to personally know many young people who like the bands that their parents listened to when they were younger. Some bands have become part of the culture in certain families, and concerts become traditions. Tastes in music can be passed down from generation to generation because some genres can transcend decades. Although the idea of there being a gene for liking jazz, the idea that jazz is hereditary is a valid point. In high school I met a girl who played the saxophone in the school jazz band I asked her what got her interested in that instrument and she said she liked it because her dad was part of a jazz band when he was younger. She aspired to start a jazz band with her dad and four brothers since they were all musicians. I also believe that in order for the music to be able to continue to other generations, the younger kids have to have a good relationship with the older generation, and in my friend's case, her and her dad were almost best friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment